The Wilbor House Museum Complex
PO Box 577
Little Compton, RI 02837
The Wilbor House which was built in 1690 with additions in 1740 and 1860. We
display three distinct historical periods - Our Pilgrim period from 1690 - 1740;
A Colonial/Early American Period from 1740-1860; and finally a Victorian Period
from 1860 to 1920. Each period is represented in different sections of the house.
A changing summer exhibition. This summer the topic is "Portraits in Time:
Three Centuries of Remarkable Residents 1600-1900"
Two Barns, a one-room school house, a carriage house, a chicken cook house, a
corn crib, a privy, and an artist's studio, an herb garden and a family
We are open to the public beginning June 12 from 1 to 5 PM on Thurs - Sun.
Starting Labor day we are open on Saturday and Sunday from 1 to 5 PM through
Columbus Day. The Wilbor House is located at 548 West Main Road. We provide
guided tours through the house and self guided tours of the grounds. The cost is
$5 for adults and $1 for children. LCHS Members and Time Traveler Members are
Private Tours and Hands-On Programs for children or adults can be arranged by
appointment throughout the year. Researchers are also welcome throughout the
year by appointment. The Grounds are always accessible.
We also own the Friends Meeting House circa 1800 which is open for private tours
by appointment. Its grounds, which include a very interesting Quaker Cemetery
are always accessible. The Friends Meeting House is located at 234 West Main
Road. This meetin house stands on the site of the first Quaker Meeting House
which was built very early in the 18th century. The Quakers were not allowed to
build their house of worship on the town Commons. Little Compton was then part
of Plymouth and later Massachussetts Bay Colonies. Quakers were routinely
persecuted in Massachussetts, but enjoyed a relative peace in Little Compton,
which felt, as a community, that it was far enough away from Boston to ignore
some of its harsher edicts.
We also provide, by appointment, guided tours of The Old Burying Ground on the
town Commons. This historic cemetery features the graves of Benjamin Church,
Elizabeth Alden Peabodie - the first English girl born in New England, along
with outstanding examples of Colonial gravestones. The Old Burying Ground is
completely accessible to the public at all times.
Our website is